Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Spring Break: Madrid

When I first arrived in London, Madrid was high on my list of places that I was absolutely dying to go to. I wasn't quite sure why...maybe it appealed to me because I had never been there. But I can tell you why you should go if you haven't been...

Shannon and I ventured off from the others and headed to Madrid after our relaxing stay in Tenerife.We started fresh on Monday after arriving exhausted pretty late the night before. We stayed at Hostel Miralva and if I were your friend, I'd tell you to find somewhere else to stay. It was basic, kinda gross and the beds weren't comfortable at all. However, the central location was absolutely perfect.

For our first full day in Madrid, Shannon and I attempted to go to the Prado Museum, but unfortunately it's closed on Mondays. Instead, we headed to Parque del Retiro. Parque del Retiro is a 350 acre outdoor oasis. I'd almost compare it to London's Hyde Park, the perfect place to go on a warm sunny day. While walking through the park, we found the monument to Alfonso XII and it's surrounding lake. For just under 5 euros, you can rent a boat for 45 minutes. Shannon and I felt like we were on the perfect date...but that wasn't quite the ambiance we felt like maintaining. On our way to the palace, we spotted a spa. No questions asked we walked in and looked for affordable relaxation treatments. For 39 euros, I received a 15 minute steam bath and 45 minute full-body massage! I've never had a spa day before but now I will definitely be investing some money into it when I get home this summer.

After the relaxing afternoon, Shannon and I had a fantastic tapas meal just off of Plaza Puerta del Sol, the heart of Madrid's historic center. My friend studying abroad in Madrid told us that there were great bars out around the plaza so we set off in search of a relaxed place to hang out. Instead, we followed a group of police in riot gear to a bar FULL of English men. Obviously, we had to go in...and we quickly found out that half of London was in Madrid for the Tottenham vs Real Madrid football game!

Tottenham fans took over the city the next day. We returned to Plaza Puerta del Sol on our way to Plaza Mayor and the palace and the entire plaza was filled with the English singing Tottenham songs. After a quick trip to Mercado de San Miguel and a picture outside the royal palace we were ready to join them! After spending the afternoon with them, Shannon and I can proudly call ourselves Spurs fans.

Overall, Madrid is a beautiful city with gorgeous architecture and friendly people. The men late at night weren't the most pleasant to be around but no city can be perfect. Unlike Barcelona, I never felt unsafe with my belongings or with my safety. Since Spain is a vast mixture of cultures, no region or city is the same. And as much as I loved Barcelona, Madrid's classy atmosphere may place it higher on my ranks.

No comments:

Post a Comment